Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Yesterday

Yesterday was a very interesting day. Phoebe must be cutting the biggest tooth in the world, because she's been clingy and cranky more so than usual. Gwen cannot be stopped no matter if my arms and full and I can barely keep up with her. So while I'm in the rocker with a fussy Phoebe, trying to get some scripture reading in and at the same time trying to dull the baby to sleep (am I instilling a bad habit here?) Gwen is jumping on the couch, watching Lilo and Stitch (or was it Little Mermaid.) I tell her not to jump, but she knows I can't do anything about it because Phoebe is on my lap, about to fall asleep. Needless to say she doesn't stop. Not too long after she started jumping, I hear a "thump!" and Gwen falls off the couch, clutching her face. Very, very, very calmly, I place Phoebe (who is now screaming hysterically) into her crib and find Gwen, crying softly, behind the rocking chair. I notice blood on her face, so, calmly, I pry her hands away. She's not crying anymore, but she won't let me look at her wound. I practically had to sit on her to look inside her mouth (she thought that was pretty funny, thankfully.) I pulled back her upper lip and cringed. There was a bloody hole where that skin thingy that connects the upper lip to the gum should have been. Up until Gwen's smack I had been very stressed, so Gwen could have lost half her teeth and I think I still would have ho-hummed my way to a wet washcloth and the phone to call Logan. I made Logan come home from work, though. I thought I would have to take Gwen to get stitches. But he looked up on the internet that Gwen's injury is a fairly common one and will heal on its own. Thanks goodness! We gave her some ice cream, and she never complained about her mouth again. She did stop jumping on the couch finally.

Then later on in the day, Gwen managed to get into my makeup bag and steal some old mascara. This is how I found her.

That is not blood on her chin, by the way. It's from the ice cream. She doesn't let me clean off her face very easily, so when Phoebe's upset I just let Gwen's face get messier and messier until Logan gets home. I did manage to get the mess off her face, to an extent, but not all the mascara. Logan's boss invited us out to dinner that night, so to onlookers, she probably looked like she had a black eye. Oh well. It made me laugh. She kept smiling at her work in the mirror, calling herself pretty. I hope she will always have a good self image. She's such a tough, happy little mess maker.

2 comments:

Hi, I'm Katelyn! said...

Oh No!!! Sounds like you've had a rough day. Clingy babies are not fun, unless they are happy that is! Gwen looks so cute with the mascara... then again, I didnt have to clean her up! :) Ethan cut his lip there too... It was actually the 1st day I had both boys on my own that he did it. I made Nate come home too!

The Tibbitts said...

Aren't kids wonderful? :) I am glad that Gwen is okay and hopefully, Phoebe's teeth start feeling better.