Friday, July 3, 2009

New Jersey Fun!

We're still in NJ for another couple days, and though we've only been here for five days so far, we've done tons of stuff! Sunday was our first day here, and we spent it hanging around, recovering from jet lag and spending time with my great-grandmother all afternoon. We had a very old photo album of pictures of my grandma when she was young, and it was fun going through them and hearing all her stories. Gwen's middle name is May, which is her first name. I'm so happy that Gwennie got to meet her great great-grandma! 

On Monday we went to Story Book Land. That was so much fun! The park was located in the woods, so we were covered by shade all day. There are all kinds of story book character houses and eateries and rides. Gwen loved the rides! She went on the flying elephants ride first with her daddy, and her mouth was wide open in a gigantic smile the whole time. She had a fit coming off it, of course, but she settled down as soon as we got her on the next ride. Gwennie is very brave and a daredevil. She even went on the tilt-o-whirl with us and loved it! She laughed the whole time, and I was the one to have to hold onto the rails after the ride so I wouldn't fall on the floor. She's a trooper. The only down part of the day was when Gwen fell on the ground and busted her lip open. Thankfully, she didn't lose any teeth, and she stopped crying as soon as we gave her a water bottle. Her lip is a little swollen now, but it could have been a lot worse. 

On Tuesday, Logan and I met up with some friends of mine from high school. It was great seeing them and knowing that I still have friends here, and that they all haven't forgotten about me. Gwen spent the day with Nanna going swimming and playing in her sandbox, while we took Phoebe to Mr. Humphreys' house. Mr. Humphreys was my biology teacher in High School. He's a good friend now to me, Lisa, BJ, and Dale (my crew, yo) and he really wanted to meet my kids. I decided not to bring Gwen because he has lots of animals that I didn't want Gwen to kill. She's pretty wild, especially in new places, so I let her have a day with Nanna. 

Wednesday we went to Ocean City, NJ with my mom-mom and pop-pop. It felt good to be back on the boardwalk, feel the ocean breeze, fight off seagulls, and take Gwen on all the rides that I went on when I was little. We didn't stay too long, though, because Gwen started a meltdown when she was finished with rides. We ended the day getting foot-high frozen custards, which settled her down considerably. Mmmm...

On Thursday, Logan and I checked out a couple cemeteries in Millville. We were looking for graves of my ancestors and found quite a few of them. One of the cemeteries was ancient, and the way it was set up was awesome. Tons of hills with old, little steps winding around the place. We had never been to a cemetery like it before. Is it a little weird that we visit cemeteries on our vacations? 

Today is Friday, and in a few hours we're going to my brother Shaun's house for a BQ. I haven't seen my brother since my wedding, and now he's married and they have a baby boy a week older than Phoebe. His name is Hayden, and I can't wait to see him! Hopefully, Brad and Stephanie will be there too. Brad got back from Iraq last month, so I'm kind of looking forward to seeing him bald. (Haha, just kidding.)

Tomorrow, we're heading back to Millville for a BQ at my mom-mom's house. She has a big pool that I can't wait to jump in. 

Well, we had better be getting ready for Shaun's BQ. It's going to take a while to wrestle Gwen into some clothes. We're coming home Sunday morning, so by Monday, I should have all the pictures up. 

2 comments:

Mary Killion said...

Isn't it wonderful to come back to NJ? There's the magic of your life before and what you can introduce to your girls. I'm glad you're enjoying it~ Mary

Tara said...

Sounds like a great trip! Storybook Land sounds amazing, especially covered in shade. Can't wait to see the pics!