Saturday, February 14, 2009

I Guess It Wasn't False Labor!




On the night of February 12th, after my false labor pains, I told Logan that I wanted to go to the hospital to have the baby's heart beat checked. I was worried that all the sporadic contractions I had been having were harmful to the baby, since Gwen didn't fare to well with them when I was in labor with her. Logan didn't want to go at all, because he was sure the baby was fine, and he didn't want to spend hours at the hospital. I gave him my best puppy dog eyes, and he finally took me. As we were filling out our hospital papers, I began having weak contractions again, but they, of course, faded away once I was hooked to contraction monitors. The baby's heart beat looked just fine, and after a couple of hours of being monitored, they told me I could go home. But, five minutes later, they said they wanted to monitor me over night because, as it turned out, the baby's heart beat had dipped just a tiny bit. By this point, I just wanted to go home. I wasn't contracting, I was very uncomfortable lying on my back for two hours, and I was none too pleased that the baby's heart beat was acting up. They admitted me into a labor room just to be monitored, and once I was hooked to a monitor, my water broke!




From there, my contractions picked up, became regular, and became extremly painful. I got an epidural as my doctor suggested to, since I was attempting a slightly risky VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean.) I love epiduals! I didn't feel a thing, and labor flew by after that. I dialted very fast. My water broke at around 12:30am and I began pushing at 8:30am. When pushing began, I didn't think I would be able to get her out. I could move her down, but she wouldn't crown. My doctor suggested to use a vacuum, and I agreed, even though I really didn't want to use one. It's a good thing we did, or else I would have been pushing for hours.




I gave birth on Friday, February 13th at 9:44am to a 9 pound 11 ounce baby girl named Phoebe Elizabeth! Everyone, even the nurses and doctors, cried out when they saw her. They all began betting the weight right away. I can't believe I was able to give birth rather easilly to a baby over 9 pounds! She's my little chunky girl, and she's beautiful! She was very bruised, since it took an hour and a half of pushing to get her out. And since she was so tired, she didn't want to breathe as strongly as the nurses wanted her to. So for a couple of hours, I wasn't allowed to hold her because she was on oxygen. But her levels became normal very fast, and I was allowed to room with her and take care of her. Thank goodness for Logan! I tore very, very badly, and am still heavilly medicated because of it, so Logan was there all night to hand me the baby to be fed, and he changed all her diapers. He was so great.




We came home today (Happy Valentine's Day!) because I could! Since there was no c-section, I was allowed to eat right away after giving birth, and I could go home the next day! I wasn't going to stay in the hospital for longer than I had to. I am in a lot of pain still, but I was in a lot of pain there, too. I have to go feed the new baby now, so here are a couple of pictures to adore until I can post more.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Congrats!!! You go girl, a vbac is so impressive! Epidurals are amazing!!! Phoebe is absolutely beautiful! Way to go!

Rydgd said...

Wow, wow, and wow!! So glad mom and babe are okay...thanks for posting so quick...you are a TRUE blogger! Wish I were there to give my new little cousin a lovin'! Congrats to you all...and heal quick!