Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Kids Lately... What else?

So much has happened (kind of) since I last posted. Updating is more like a chore nowadays, since Isaac LOATHES the laptop. He sees me on it, and he'll bang it closed on me and snatch it away. He's the jealous type. But he's asleep now, so I'll update ch'yall on a few things. In case you were wondering.

So. Isaac had a quite a few more of those night terror things, but I'm not so sure they are night terrors now. I don't know. It's been a while since he last had one (about a week) so hopefully they don't start back up again. I'm thinking it had something to do with teething, because he cut four new teeth all at the same time. Or maybe he's just really pissed that it takes me so long to wake up and grab him... That could be it too. It still baffles me.

Gwen started Kindergarten, of course. Her first week, she had a little bit of a hard time falling in with the rules. Apparently, this was a surprising thing for her teacher. In fact, after the second day, she asked if Gwen was deprived oxygen at birth... Yeah. Her teacher racked her brain for reasons why Gwen spoke so unclearly, walked with a "funny gait", and appeared to "go off in her own little world" instead of sitting in her seat. So naturally one's mind would jump to oxygen deprivation as a possible cause. It made me laugh. Still does. But, because of it, I spoke to Gwen's speech therapist about it, and one thing led to another, and now Gwen will see an occupational therapist every couple of weeks. Now - there's nothing wrong with Gwen. She's bright, energetic, happy, healthy... but she does have quirks about her. She was tested for some things, and it was discovered that she had a harder time than other kids her age with handling the things she sees. Too much stimuli sends her into a frenzy. When she was 2 and 3 years old, we all had an extremely difficult time handling all the tantrums and crazy energy over every little thing, but she's come a huge way since then. She no longer goes hysterical when a movie ends and we don't push stop fast enough, and she doesn't scream when the microwave beeps anymore. She's stopped throwing tantrums in Walmart every time we visit, and she no longer bolts for the road when we let go of her hand. She's in control of herself. So these classes are just to help her find different releases for her stress and energy - like using a "fidget toy" instead of flapping and twirling her hands, and trying to break her other habits that are considered socially awkward (going "hhhhahhhh" every five minutes and obsessing over rule breakers.) Oh well. I think the adults are more concerned about it than the kids. Gwen's made a lot of friends who all shout bye to her at the end of the school day. She comes home with many exciting stories, songs, and worksheets to share. She's loving school. In her prayers, she always mentions, "make sure I go back to school tomorrow." I love having her in school, too. After I drop her off, Isaac goes down for his 2 hour nap, and Phoebe and I do whatever we want. It's so nice!

Phoebe is my little baby princess love bug. She's hilarious. She has a lisp that she picked up from Gwen, but she's so expressive and has me laughing every day. She's still extremely shy though. Logan, Isaac, Gwen, and me are in "Club Phoebe" but everyone else gets a mellowed down, quieter version of my usually very loud, stubborn, jolly, playful lady. So... my mom and I were talking, and she, my mother, is being extremely generous and starting Phoebe in dance classes next week. She begins on Tuesday, and we're all excited for her. She's calling it her "Dance Pre-School" and she's a "ballerina princess." She has always stopped me to show me her "ballerina moves" so starting her in dance seems very natural. I hope she won't be too shy and change her mind. We'll see what happens on Tuesday!

Gwen's first day!


 These two are best friends. I need to do a post on some of their adventures. They're a riot.

 Ballerina Princess Phoebe! She picked the black leotard over the pink one. Go figure.

 Isaac was extremely excited for cookies.




Now you're updated!


No comments: