Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Potty Training Blues


How in the world do you potty train a kid?! We've been trying to get Gwen to use the potty for a while now, and recently we bought a princess potty to go on the toilet and princess training pants, which she absolutely loves, but still she refuses to go. She asks to sit on the toilet multiple times a day, but still nothing! She'll be three in a month, so what do I do? Tell her she can't start preschool until she uses the potty? I've tried bribing her with chocolate, even. Nothing's working. I'm sure she'll get it eventually, right??

Seriously. Any tips?


6 comments:

Hi, I'm Katelyn! said...

ugh, good luck... then when it finally happens, let me know the tricks!

Zee said...

Ask her what she wants in exchange. A cousin was having the same problem with her 3-year-old and finally she threw up her hands and asked what he would want. His response? "Gum." Gum got him to use the bathroom.

Worth a try, right?

The Tibbitts said...

I've never potty trained a child, but my little sister was the exact same way. My mom finally got desperate and made her sit on the toilet while she watched a movie on the portable DVD player. By the end of the movie she had gone to the bathroom and then she was hooked! Often times kids just need to know what it feels like to go to the bathroom in the toilet. Once they realize it's not scary, they'll go again.
I've also been told to make them drink a lot (buy squeezits and other fun drinks so that they want to drink a lot)so that they have to go more frequently. Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes.

Eliza said...

She's probably reluctant to give up that contact with you especially with Phoebe still getting that kind of attention. I'm always down with bribing (candy and toys have worked well)and making sure they see you go to the bathroom all the time, she needs to know how it's done. The potty training in a day is a good idea, pump them FULL of their favorite drinks no matter what they are all day so that she has to go a ton in one day. You have to plan on being at home all day and basically letting her run around in her underwear or nothing and constantly having her sit on the potty. Potty books are also helpful and give her LOTS of positive encouragement. If she knows you are frustrated she may keep milking that for the attention. In my mind pullups are tricky because I feel like they send a mixed message to the child. I would get her some training underpants, the thick ones so that accidents aren't as messy but she learns that she's a big girl now and wearing underwear and she has to go in the potty. It's literally been a different experience with each of my kids, you kind of just have to find what works for the individual child. It's definitely a pain in the bootie! Good luck! (Sorry this is so long!:)

Tara said...

Seriously, the pain! Potty training books were what did it for Scarlet. Her favorite one was Once Upon A Potty, which is pretty descriptive, it shocked my Mother in law, but it wasn't offensive in my opinion.

The people who wrote Baby Wise also have a book called Potty Training 123, I have a few friends who have used it.

If she is one to tend to be jealous of Phoebe, I just read in the Birth Order Book, to say things like, Phoebe isn't big enough to go in the potty but you are, build her up by explaining Phoebe is still too little.

The phrase that really clicked for Scarlet was when I say to her, 'Remember that feeling.'

Good luck! I am with Eliza on the pull ups, plus they are expensive!

Good luck!!!

Rachelle said...

Thanks for the tips, guys! I'm going to try all your suggestions, you pumped me up, I'm ready to DO THIS! Hopefully, Gwen's ready too.