Thursday, October 29, 2009

My Life's Promises

I feel like I'm a pretty private person, especially when it comes to blogging and exposing too much for everyone in the world to read. But I felt inspired to share a list that I recently composed. I needed to write this list to help myself see what is really important in life. I've viewed my extended family doing things that are hurting themselves, so I've compiled a list of my life's promises to make sure that my own family doesn't get to that point. I feel lucky in a way, because I've learned the hard way what I must and must not do, and I can avoid certain things so my family will succeed. I know most of that doesn't make sense to most people, but I'm sharing this because the list I made, I think, can help many families, not just my own. And I encourage everyone to make a list of their promises to their families. It's inspired me and I'm so excited for my family.

The List
1. I will never be unfaithful to my husband
2. I will never lie for personal gain
3. I will never abandon my children, physically or emotionally
4. I will fight to keep my family together
5. I will tell my children I love them everyday, and everyday I will prove that to them
6. I will always try to understand my husband and strive to make him happy.
7. I will push my selfish desires to the side to meet my family's needs first
8. I will keep the Spirit in my home
9. I will introduce my children to the gospel and help them keep their love for Christ
10. I will help my children with their homework
11. I will encourage them to do their best in everything they do
12. I will discourage them from quitting
13. I will encourage them to be involved as a daughter/son, sibling, friend, and student
14. I will teach my children to be independent but to not be afraid to ask for help
15. I will teach my children to be fierce as a family member - to love and stand up for their family
16. I will raise my children to be proud of their standards and to not feel belittled by others
17. I will never belittle my children
18. I will help my children to develop a healthy self-esteem
19. I will not belittle myself in front of my children
20. I will raise my children to love and to help others
21. I will show my family what happiness is by loving my husband completely
22. I will teach my children by example
23. I will make my children do what they don't want to do, if it is good for them
24. I will be my children's friend while not neglecting my motherly duties
25. I will turn off the TV and play with my children
26. I will never make excuses to not be there for my family
27. I will not mother my husband
28. I will not belittle my husband
29. I will encourage my husband to do his duties for the church and I will never hinder him from doing so
30. I will be my husband's best friend
31. I will make my husband feel like he can do anything, because he can
32. I will hug my husband when he walks through the door
33. I will work disagreements out with my husband in earshot of our children sometimes, so they know that disagreements don't make a marriage fail
34. I will allow my children to feel like a vital part of the family, because they are
35. I will not scream at my children
36. I will never make my children feel unsafe
37. I will make our home a safe haven
38. I will read to my children
39. I will tell my children they are beautiful
40. I will remind my husband that he is one hot stud
41. I will not laugh at my family members' concerns
42. I will be a great listener
43. I will not feel like a failure even when I can't fix everything
44. I will allow my children to develop a deep love for their grandparents
45. I will not discuss marital problems with my children
46. I will make it my life's goal to make my children laugh
47. I will not be afraid to act goofy in front of my husband
48. Though I can't sing, I will sing; though I can't dance, I will dance, so my children will develop a love of music and expression
49. I will let my kids help me in the kitchen
50. I will inspire my kids to love learning
51. I will allow my kids to be involved in the activities they want to be involved in (ie school activities)
52. I will hug my children when they cry
53. I will continue to add to this list when the Spirit whispers to me on how to be a better wife and mother, and when life's experiences require me to.

I love my extended family, but I refuse to lead my husband and children down their road. I love my family and I love my Heavenly Father and Savior, and I hope that will never be questioned.

9 comments:

Annie Hall said...

That was beautiful. It made me think a lot of Elder Bednar's Talk in conference. It makes my heart happy to see so many of my friends implementing these things with their children. If only all these little spirits had homes as good as yours.

Michelle said...

I loved your list. It definitely inspired me to be a better wife and mother. You are a really great mom and wife Rachelle I definitely look up to you. I hope you guys are doing good. We need to get together with Eliza's family for dinner sometime soon!

The Tibbitts said...

What a great list and a great reminder of what is truly important in life. It really is those little things that keep us on the upward path towards our Heavenly Father's kingdom and the place we want to end up with our families. Thanks for the reminder.

Owen Family said...

What a great list of goals! I certainly know where you're coming from. Sometimes observing the mistakes of others makes us stronger. You are a great wife for our son and a great mother for our grandchildren, not to mention that we love you for yourself. Thanks for being a great daughter and member of our family.

Emmio said...

Oh my heck Rache, that's beautiful! I admit, I teared up for a bit there. You're amazing, I love you, and I will love you forever! You're a wonderful asset to our family :)

Eliza said...

How did Logan get so lucky? haha!!! I'm just kidding Logan! What a great and inspiring list, sometimes we all need reminders of the important things in life, thanks for sharing.

Mary Killion said...

Wow. The list was incredible. I know you will do each and every thing on that list because your family means the world to you. Thank you for your wonderful example to me!

Lindsay and Ron said...

It was awesome to read those things...I know you are a much more patient person than me - Logan and the girls are so lucky to have you! Love you!

Maci said...

I love you Rache. We're all blessed that you came into our lives. Like Emmi, I definitely teared up. You're an example that I strive to follow.