Monday, April 23, 2012

First Mall Trip?!

Believe it or not, I took the kids shopping for the first time today... by myself. I know this doesn't seem like a  major feat for some, but to me, I think it's ground breaking. I took all three kids to the mall... to multiple stores even... for a couple hours. And Gwen walked the whole time. Huge! I feel like I can do anything. Big mama points today.

We got to the mall at 9 this morning, and was I really agitated that none of the stores opened until 10. Seriously? Seems plain lazy to me! So we walked around the mall, getting exercise, and putted around the bookstore awhile. And since there were no other kids in the mall that early, I let the kids loose in the play area they have there. The kids acted like I took them to Disney World for the afternoon. And Isaac spent most of the time crawling in and out of the log thing, giggling like crazy. I love how easy it is to entertain little kids. I'm going to have to put in more effort when they are older, I'm sure. 

When the stores finally opened, Gwen shouted for joy and told everyone around that Children's Place was open. Actually... I'm getting kind of tired with Gwen telling strangers things. Some of it's cute and fine, but she's starting to order people around. "Excuse me! Get me those pink sunglasses ! Excuse me! I want chocolate milk!" to random customers around. She's getting quite bossy. And everyone she passes, she tells random information of our personal lives. Thankfully, she's a little hard to understand still. No body needs to know what we did that morning, and nobody cares. I'm glad she's not shy though. I want to teach her to be wary of strangers and still not squash her natural ability to make friends. Not sure how to accomplish that. Sometimes, I'm tempted to tell Gwen that some people will snatch her up and run out the door with her if she's not careful, but that's no good. Don't want to terrify her. Would be easier though...

Anyway. I was able to get the girls their summer wardrobes and we ended the morning with a yummy lunch at the subway in the mall. I had the happiest feeling, just being out with my kids, shopping, spending time together, making memories. Now lets be real here. I'm not the jolliest person in the world. It runs in my family, I think. It's not like I'm brooding all the time, but it takes a lot to just feel pleased. I don't know what it is. But all morning long, I was the happiest mommy in that mall. On the ride home, I was overwhelmed with how happy I was! I even started tearing up to some country song about fishing that reminded me of my dad. I'm crazy, but I'm having a really good day. Just wanted to let you know that. :)

When we got home, the girls tried on all their new clothes, and we made a little fashion shoot out of it.





Phoebe's new sunglasses. So cool. 







And Old Navy was giving away free totes today, but this pic is more about documenting Gwen eating apples. 
It's just been that kind of day. :) 



3 comments:

Michelle said...

I love days like that! You are a great Mom Rachelle. Score on that cute tote!

Maci said...

I love that last picture of Phoebs with her sunglasses on! Such a little diva! ...plus I love that you can see her outy belly button <3

Becca said...

Oh, I love days like that. Makes up for the days of crying and tantrums. :)